During the difficult years following World War II, BVN was instrumental in providing vital assistance to Munich and the people of Bavaria. Not only did our members send packages of food and other necessities to the Bavarian people, but they sent money to the Bavarian government to be used in restoring the churches that were destroyed during the war. As a gesture of thanks, the Bavarian government donated a splendid work of Bavarian art which became the BVN flag.
This beautifully stitched flag bears an oak tree with the Bavarian crest and the crests of the eight states of Bavaria on one side; the other side is a lovely depiction of the Blessed Mother. Especially proud of our new flag and its origin, our members held a rousing Fahnenweihe on October 9, 1949, in Newark. A particularly memorable part of the weekend was a police-escorted parade down the main street of Newark to celebrate not only the Fahnenweihe but the end of the war.